Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Twenty-two years

Twenty-two years ago today, I was pulled from 9th grade gym class at Highland High School and made my way to Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, where I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  I started using Regular and NPH insulin and learned how to test my blood sugar on an early model One Touch meter.  It took me fifteen minutes to poke my finger the first time.  I continued on the cross country team and since then I have run twelve marathons, qualified for and run the Boston Marathon, completed four Ironman triathlons, and competed in about 30 road bike races.  I would give anything to be able to go just one mile without diabetes.  Today I am raising money for a cure for type 1 diabetes with the JDRF for all of us with type 1 diabetes and in honor of those who have been taken from us too soon.  Please donate generously if you are able; any amount is welcome.  Donations can be made at my page at http://ride.jdrf.org/rider.cfm?id=9740.

No comments: