Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Day One on the DexCom

After a somewhat horrendous night of BG's ricocheting from very high to very low in the space of 4 hours, I was eager to get the DexCom going. I waited for a time late this afternoon when my BG's were relatively stable and inserted the sensor. (Note: this was my second attempt. My first attempt yesterday was a failure and with $35 riding on each of these sensors, I was nervous about messing it up again somehow.) Everything went smoothly and I started the calibration procedure, which lasts about 2 hours. After work, about 20 minutes into my bike trainer workout, I heard a little beeping noise and checked the screen. Bingo! The receiver was asking for some BG readings from my Ultra meter, which I measured and uploaded onto the DexCom receiver. I had a big smile on my face when I checked it a bit later and saw the glucose numbers popping up on the screen.

The DexCom has alerts that go off when the glucose values go over or below certain thresholds. This means that nights like last night should be a thing of the past.

I might start holding bake sales to raise money for the sensors, though. Would it be hypocritical for me to sell cookies in order to be able to use my CGMS all the time? Somehow, it doesn't seem right.

No comments: