Thursday, October 12, 2006

Not Perfect

So some days are better than others when it comes to diabetes management. I put a new sensor in for my DexCom 2 nights ago, and expected it to work as accurately as the first. By the way, the only reason I removed the first sensor after 7 days (instead of the billed 3 days per sensor) was that my skin started to get irritated around the sensor, and I was worried about infection. Actually, when I removed the sensor, I decided that I probably could have left it in longer. The skin under the tape looked fine and the site where the sensor wire had been also looked fine (although there was and still is a very small bump there under my skin). Anyway, after putting in the new sensor, I started the 2-hour calibration period and went to sleep. I woke up around 2 AM to the beeping sound of the Dexcom, prompting for two BG samples. I uploaded those and went back to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I was sad to see that my meter hadn't read any values all night, but relieved that they started showing up after I input another BG value.

Unfortunately, sporadically during the day, the DexCom would fail to pick up some readings, even though I kept the meter close by. On two occasions since yesterday, my BG dropped to the 40's while the DexCom still read >100. I have my low alarm set for 90 because there can be some delay in the CGMS reading, especially when the BG is changing rapidly. After both of these lows I input the BG value and got major calibration errors, suggesting that I replace the sensor. I decided to wait it out and see if it would start working again, which it did both times. After it failed again right before my track workout, I threw it in my bag and later reset the sensor entirely (which requires another 2-hour calibration period). I just finished that and it seems to be reading okay again so far. We'll see how it goes.

I do feel that the DexCom company is very willing to help me sort out these problems, and am optimistic that as time goes by, I will be able to figure out how to make this technology work better for me. I at least had one really good week with the DexCom, which gives me hope that it will be useful still. I guess I am disappointed with this sensor because I had already grown accustomed to having the CGMS info, and feel at a loss without it. I am also happy that I can apparently get at least 6 or 7 days out of each sensor, which will cut down on the costs significantly.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How does the CGMS work during your workouts? I'd be really interested in how it would work on one of my runs...

Anne Findlay said...

I'll assemble some info and write a post on it. I have been able to use it on a few bike rides and a couple of runs. I still bring my BG meter because I don't completely trust it yet, and it just isn't as accurate most of the time. It has been most helpful indicating whether I am rising or falling on the bike, which has alerted me to take some corrective action... I'll try to post some data!