Thursday, March 12, 2009

In Memory of a Bike

This weekend, I'll be getting back my bike that I was riding in the crash. I haven't seen it yet but have been told that it is pretty much toast. At least, the handlebars, wheels, and fork are demolished. I don't know about the frame--I'm hoping I can salvage the saddle and am really hoping that the bike computer survived. If saying good-bye to my trusty Geo Prizm (after I was hit in a hit-and-run in San Francisco in 2006) is any example, it will be sad to say good-bye to my faithful red Cannondale. The bike has seen me through thousands of miles of training and racing, including 2 of the Ironman races and numerous other triathlons. I've taken the bike into the shop far more often than my car, and have been careful to keep it running well. Most of the parts have been replaced, and often upgraded. I was hoping to use it for awhile to race with while I get more experience, and then pass it off to someone who would appreciate the gift.

In 2006, on my red bike, next to my red car.
Don't worry, I always wear my helmet while riding. See, it's on the car.

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Girl, get your head, spine and muscles back in one piece. I love the red bike, but it can be replaced...but, we need you whole again!

Lesley said...

Okay, that sounded too cruel and I hit send too quickly...the red bike should be celebrated and maybe have an party in (her) honor for carrying you all those miles...

Anne Findlay said...

I was feeling a little bummed out today and wrote that post instead of continuing my pity party. I appreciate your first comment, no worries.

denise said...

Don't be bummed out, you are OK and in the big picture that is ALL that matters. Wait till you see the sweet Kestrel's, you will not feel sad anymore:) All we have is now, so don't waste it being bummed! Get well fast! love, Denise